Justin by voki


Get a Voki now!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

EPL day 1

Today was EPL day 1 for me. It was a really good day. I have not been inside a high school classroom while class is in session since 1993, so it was interesting! My MT is really excited about having me in her classroom and is really helpful and encouraging. So the day started with a year 9 science lesson, 70 minutes about the heart and the cardiovascular system.
So the interactive whiteboard was not working properly, and the 14 year olds that knew almost everything were quick to point out the teachers short comings. Then the MT done what every good MT would do....handed me the whiteboard stick and said....you could do better! What? I have never even seen an electronic whiteboard before let alone know how to use one!
So I took the stick and went merrily clicking and tapping at the whiteboard....and luck was with me....the board responded with the correct song! BAM and we were away with the lesson!
So my very first lesson on EPL and I nearly took over the class. Oh dear me!
Next a lesson with year 9 math. I said to myself....just sit quietly down the back and observe. Well that lasted 15 minutes...until a student turned my way and asked...Mr Lane...whats this mean? Before I knew it I was at the old fashioned whiteboard with a marker whizzing up math equations. Math is not me!
Then after lunch, a year 9 SOSE lesson about law and order. Hmmmmmm, this is where the wheels sort of fell off the wagon. Try keeping 14 year olds interested in law after lunch! So there I sat in the back corner quietly observing. It was really interesting observing the behavior of the students and how long they would actually concentrate on the subject being taught.
Had a short chat with the MT about next weeks lessons. Oh did I mention my homework is...create two LEP's for next week. One for year 8 science on microscopes and one for year 9 science on kidneys. MT said, 'you might like to get a kidney or two and dissect them with the students'. Grand, I say, nurse, scalpel!
So day 1 down, 15 to go this term.
I really enjoyed the day and are very thankful my MT is really keen to help me grow from a student teacher to a learning manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment